Karl Hubbuch (November 21, 1891 Karlsruhe, Germany – December 26, 1979 Karlsruhe, Germany) was a painter, lithographer, and professor of art academy in Karlsruhe.
He visited the Staatliche Akademie der Bildende Künste Karlsruhe between 1908 and 1912, where he made friends with Rudolf Schlichter and Georg Scholz. He studied at the School of the applied arts in Berlin under Emil Orlik, at the same time as George Grosz was a student there.
He went voluntarily to the military in 1914 and served as an artillery until 1918.
In 1924, Hubbuch began teaching lithography at the Academy in Karlsruhe, which in 1928 appointed him a full-time professor.
At that time, he traveled to France every year.
During the 1920s and early 1930s his work was shown in numerous exhibitions, among them “Neue Sachlichkeit” in Mannheim in 1925 and a joint exhibition with Otto Dix and George Grosz in the Galerie Neumann-Nierendorf in Berlin. Together with his artist colleagues Hermann Brand, Erwin Spuler and Anton Weber, he published the critical artist magazine Zakpo in Karlsruhe in 1930.
Between 1935 and 1945 Hubbuch was made the accusation of the degenerate art by the Nazi regime and was forbidden to work as an artist.
After the war, his appointment as a professor at the Academy in Karlsruhe was renewed, from 1947 to 1957.